[mythtv-users] Backend suggestions please - h/ware & distro

William wmunson at rochester.rr.com
Wed Mar 24 19:31:04 EST 2004

> I've been banging my head against my standalone myth box for
> a few months now, and still can't get it going, so I'm
> formulating plan 'b'.
>
> My troublesome myth box is a Via EPIA M10000, TwinHan DVB-T,
> 512MB RAM, and 160GB disk. It's currently running Gentoo.

I banged my head for several weeks before finding a thread somewhere that
stated that motherboards based on via chipsets have stability problems in
tv/pvr service. I since bought a nvidia based mb and have been running for
several weeks without problems. I use fedora core and it seems to work well.
I believe I found the thread over at KnoppMyth which I still use when I want
to set up a quick and dirty frontend without redoing the os on that box.
(lets the kids watch recorded shows on the computer in their room)