[mythtv-users] Backend suggestions please - h/ware & distro

Jon Whitear mythtv at whitear.org
Wed Mar 24 18:36:40 EST 2004

I've been banging my head against my standalone myth box for a few months
now, and still can't get it going, so I'm formulating plan 'b'.

I have a Redhat 9 box that is currently my mail/web/proxy server. It's a
PIII 500 on a 440BX board with 384MB RAM, 20GB disk and a Matrox G440. It
runs for weeks on end without problems.

My troublesome myth box is a Via EPIA M10000, TwinHan DVB-T, 512MB RAM,
and 160GB disk. It's currently running Gentoo.

My plan is to move to a distributed backend/frontend setup, moving the
160GB disk and DVB-T card to the backend, and having the EPIA as a
diskless frontend.

My questions:-

(a) Is RH9 feasible as a backend box? I'm think I may need to go to Fedora
Core 1 (and use Jarrod's guide!)
(b) Will FC1 support my DVB-T card?
(c) Will this combination be powerful enough (hardware wise?) It won't be
used as a frontend (in fact it won't normally be running X.)
(d) Will it be stable!?
(e) Is anybody else running diskless frontends? I'm no linux guru, and
just want to get an idea of what I'm letting myself in for. Minimyth
springs to mind.

TIA,

Jon