[mythtv-users] Power Con$umption

Rob Comstock mythtv at westcoastlinux.com
Wed Mar 24 17:22:05 EST 2004

I just measured the power consumed by my MythTV server and
was suprised to find it ticking away at 175 watts (24-7 of course).
Here in California that gets pretty ugly over time. A KWh
costs me over $0.24 so that works out to around $32 a month.
The box is a Athlon Thunderbird 1.3G running 3 ATA disk drives (all
5400 RPM, two 60g and 1 180g), a matrox g400 dual head for
TV-out (that card has a fan on it), two ethernet cards, and a
AverMedia brooktree video capture/tuner card.

Does 175 w seem high to anyone else? Do other processors
of equivelent compute power (how does a 2 gig celeron compare
in  performance?) take less power? Have others measured the
power consumed by their myth boxes? if someone knows of a
power consumption database that already exists I could take
a look there. Failing that if  you would like to post the power
numbers and the system configs I could setup a page to do
that.

Thanks!

Rob