[mythtv-users] Recommended CPU speed

Mitko Haralanov voidtrance at comcast.net
Wed Mar 24 13:08:53 EST 2004

I am trying to decide what speed CPU to get for my future MythTV box. I
have been reading the different guides an list archives but I am still
kind of confused.

I am planning on getting the CHAINTECH 7NIF2 motherboard (and using the
hw mpeg decoder of the onboard GeForce4 MX). I am also planning on
purchasing a Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-250 and a AVerMedia M179 (I want to be
able to record two streams at the same time). I plan to use the PVR-250
for recording and the remote interface.

Since all the encoding and decoding of the streams will be done in
hardware, I am not going to need that fast of a CPU. However, I am going
to be encoding 2 streams and decoding 1, all at the same time.

I am planning on getting an AMD Athlon XP 2100+ (1.73GHz) CPU. Do you
think that this would be over- or underkill.

	I appreciate any help!! Thanx!
--
Mitko Haralanov
voidtrance at comcast dot net