[mythtv-users] OT: no spdif using alsa (see error)

John Sturgeon john at sturgeonfamily.com
Tue Mar 23 17:38:41 EST 2004

Hello all,

I understand this is slightly off topic, but this audience might be one
of the most experienced/knowledgable around when it comes to audio/video
& Linux.

Everything that I have working in MythTV so far I love; however, some
frustrations still lurk.
I'm trying to get audio out of my spdif output and I get the following
error:

ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1056:(snd_pcm_hw_open) open /dev/snd/pcmC0D1p failed:
No such device

$ll /dev/snd/pcmC0D1p
crw-rw-rw-  1 root root 116, 17 Mar 19 23:39 /dev/snd/pcmC0D1p

$cat /dev/snd/pcmC0D1p
cat: /dev/snd/pcmC0D1p: No such device

Here is (what I hope to be) the important hardware/software information:

Shuttle XPC: SN41G2
On Board Audio: nForce 2
OS: Fedora Core

here is my modules.conf:
[root at localhost AverageJoe]# cat /etc/modules.conf
path[toplevel]=/lib/modules/`uname -r`/updates
# default path
path[toplevel]=/lib/modules/`uname -r`
alias char-major-81 bttv
alias usb-controller usb-ohci
alias usb-controller1 ehci-hcd
alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394
alias eth0 nvnet
alias usb-interface usb-ohci
# nvidia kernel module
alias char-major-195 nvidia-1.0-4363
# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# --- ALSACONF verion 1.0.3 ---
alias char-major-116 snd
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0
# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

John Sturgeon <><