[mythtv-users] help! kde gone

Aaron Levinson alevinsn at aracnet.com
Mon Mar 22 20:14:22 EST 2004

James,

You may have no choice other than to start over from scratch.  I ran into
this problem during what appeared to be a transient issue with the ATrpms
database, and I did a dist-upgrade that required that QT and KDE be
uninstalled... and I didn't carefully examine when apt-get dist-upgrade
was going to do and blindly agreed to this change.  When I discovered that
I had lost KDE, I attempted to force the installation of the KDE RPMs from
the Fedora CDs, and while this worked, KDE still didn't run.  I couldn't
figure out how to recover it, so I gave up and started over.  The second
time around, apt-get dist-upgrade wanted to do the same thing, but I
commented out the offending ATrpms servers and added two additional
servers that I read about at the KDE ATrpms Web site (I forget the URL),
and this fixed the problem.  With subsequent updates to ATrpms, the
problem has since been fixed.

Certainly, there is _some_ solution for this problem, though.  After all,
it's just software....

Good luck,
Aaron Levinson