[mythtv-users] Wrong duration during playback

William wmunson at rochester.rr.com
Mon Mar 22 15:31:06 EST 2004

> a Recording screen, the total time displayed for a recording
> is always
> way off.  For example, a 30 minute show will show up as having a
> duration of 45 minutes.  This is not only annoying, but when I
> fast-forward or rewind, the recording jumps to a time it
> either thinks
> it's at or that the recording is really at.
>
> Has anyone else seen this?  Right now, I'm using the DVD-Special 1
> setting for the card (I'm still experimenting with a good recording
> profile.  Any suggestions on format?) -- is that causing the
> miscalculations?

I suspect that DVD-special 1 is at the heart of your problems. I have had
good luck with the default MPEG2-PS stream. My settings are 720x480 at base
rate of 6000 and a peak rate of 16000 (hdtv output here you should be able
to get by with peak=8000 for tv out) Audio set to 384 kbps and sample rate
of 48000

You may notice some problems with stutering audio and jumpy video. Those
were fixed by enabling "extra audio buffering" and "use video as timebase"
in the general playback setup screen. You may notice that the sound is not
synced with peoples lips during the first few seconds but it locks in nicely
after a few moments. I have been very pleased with the results and show
times are dead on.