[mythtv-users] ANyone using this Case for MythtTV

Henk Poley hpoley at dds.nl
Mon Mar 22 14:10:16 EST 2004

Getting OT...

Op maandag 22 maart 2004 19:45, schreef Chris Petersen:
> > Hmm, this case is definatly designed to stand on it's 'side', temperature
> > wise.
>
> Agreed here.  The bottom of the case (as a tower) is bare metal, not
> like the nice cover around the rest of the case, so if you lay it on its
> side, you end up with a not-so-nice-looking patch on the left side
> (since you can only lay it down one way, to allow for air to get to the
> CPU fan intake).

Yes, but also the CPU fan will suck in air from the top, if you lay it on it's
side. Possibly not the best thing to do convection wise. And the PSU won't be
able to push out the hot air at top of the case when you lay it down flat.

> >  btw, as it does have fans, it's not really very quiet. You will soon be
> > irritated by it's high-ish noise unless you put it in a closet.
>
> Huh?  It's incredibly quiet!  Mine sits in my living room, and I can't
> hear the fan noise unless there is NO noise (meaning, the refridgerator
> in the other room has to be off),

Hmm, I guess I shouldn't mention that our 'new' fridge makes more noise
(wirrling, sizzling) than our old frige, which only made the normal 50Hz
fridge compressor tone. (It even uses more power, so it is probably broken,
but fridge technicians tell that's bs...)

> or the machine is doing some encoding
> or something (which causes the fans to spin up, but still MUCH quieter
> than any other fan-cooled system I've ever seen).

Uhm, yes then it makes more noise. Part of the problem is that when we record
stuff then we are also around in the living room. The only time it's really
silent occasionly, was in the beginning when I had let it running over night
so it cooled down then. And lately it booted up to 'record' a program but
then decided it was overlapping and only recorded the next program an hour or
so later.

Directly after boottime it has either warmed up enough to keep the fans at a
higher RPM, or has still not decided to spind down the fans.

> Much worse is the
> blinking blue hard drive activity light.  My wife went into the living
> room one night because she thought a police car was parked outside, and
> was wondering what was going on.

We put a little blanket over the front panel. :-)

I was also thinking on putting a piece of tissue over the LEDs inside the
caseing, LEDs don't warm up that much so it shouldn't cause a fire hazard.

	Henk Poley <><