[mythtv-users] MythTV freezes on Fedora

Hector Vayanos avayanos at qualcomm.com
Sun Mar 21 20:56:21 EST 2004

Hi,
I am encountering a very strange problem with MythTV.

My system characteristics are:
- Tuner: Hauppauge PVR-250
- MoBo: ASUS A7N266-VM
- CPU: Athlong XP1800+
- Ethernet: built in Nvidia (nvnet)
- Audio: built in Nvidia (nvaudio - AC97 - intel8x0)

I was a very happy Mythtv 0.12 user. My installation was based on Jarod's
guide for RH9.0 and Axel's rpm packages. I recently tried to upgrade to
version 0.14 but apt got completely hosed (the dependency file
disappeared), so I figured it was a good opportunity to transition to
Fedora. I again made use of Jarod's excellent guide.

In general I am quite disappointed by Fedora. It takes extremely long both
to boot up and shut down compared to RH9.0 with the same services set up. I
did quite a bit of searching on the web but could not find any explanation
for this.

MythTV 0.14 on the other hand seems to be a worthwhile upgrade. I really
like the status information.

Everything seems to be working fine, except that after watching live TV for
about 3 to 4 minutes the image freezes and eventually the back-end service
sort of hangs. At first I thought there was a problem with the ivtv driver
or with the PVR firmware. By complete coincidence I found that if there is
network activity (http or telnet) at the time when mythtv freezes the
server recovers.

For scheduled recordings I only get about 9-10 minutes of the show. After
that the backend service hangs (it keeps reporting that the tuner is
already in use even after the show time is passed). I am assuming that the
same thing that happens for live-TV also occurs here.

I am not sure whether this is something to do with Fedora, MythTV, mplayer
or my ethernet adapter. I have already followed Jarod's suggestions to stop
DPMS. I could not find anything on the web on other power management
schemes (apmd is not running) that could lead to such behavior. I would be
very interested in hearing any suggestions on what could be causing this.

Thanks,
Hector

Hector Vayanos
Senior Engineer,