[mythtv-users] prebuffering pause -- Fixed mine.

Gregory J. McGee gjmcgee at cableone.net
Sat Mar 20 07:27:26 EST 2004

Just put my 2 512M sticks back in, and interestingly got the dreaded
"prebuffering pause" so many folks complain about... I had not seen it
previously, and ran thru the usual BIOS settings, as I had to nuke them
to boot with the slower memory.

It's NOT mythtv, at least in this case.

I manually set/clocked everything to slow as hell, it worked fine (if
slow) at 6x100... It seems the MB is trying to protect itself from
memory that "almost" works at its rated speed in this case. Back to
16x133, runs fine and cool as long as I keep the memory clocked down,
even with timing screwed to the floor, older 2x512M 2700 Mushkin DDR
(running good at 133/4222)

The MB is probably playing silly buggers with interrupts or something
when it happens.

(FIC AU11, NForce2 using the 128 bit mem setup (MCP? whatever its
called) The box oddly feels much faster at 16x133 vs 11x190 with the
"good" PC3200 5222 memory. Probably happy to have 2 sticks again.

Observed: The post "beep" kind of drawls when the problem is occuring.
It's a very brief "beep" when all is well, and just a hair longer when I
have the issue.

--
Gregory J. McGee <gjmcgee at cableone.net>