[mythtv-users] Commercial releases of MythTV?

Scott LeBrun slebrun at scopus.vic.edu.au
Fri Mar 19 20:41:00 EST 2004

Hi Andrew.

As the instigator of the thread, I thought I'd say hello. :-)

My main gripe wasn't with Development 1 selling a prepackaged MythTV
solution. I was annoyed by the fact that neither the article published
in Australian Personal Computer nor Development 1's website acknowledged
the origins of the code.

Scott Le Brun

>>> ajd1 at optusnet.com.au 03/20/04 10:51 AM >>>
Hello.

My name is Andrew Jamieson, and I work for Development One.

(Pause whilst I don my flame retardant - but probably not nearly enough
-
suit).

Let me first explain that I personally am not a coder, and can probably
only
answer some of your questions - and infact some of my answers may even
be
wrong.  It's Saturday morning here, and any specific code related
questions
may have to wait until Monday morning, or at least until one of the
programmers pops up in my messenger.  However, I am willing to answer
whatever I can, and will hunt down answers for which I have no immediate
knowledge.

(I'm also writing this at the same time as I am being clambered over by
my
two kids, so if my responses take a while, please bear with me :)

Yesterday, our 'head' programmer sent an email to Isaac which we
intended to
be the beginning of a dialogue with the myth community.  However, I feel
now
that it is past time for us to make a post on this thread to provide
some
answers to your questions.  So here goes:

*    If we are found to be violating the GPL in any way, we will
immediately
take steps to rectify this.  Any lack here is in no way deliberate or
malicious.
*    We fully intend to give back to the myth community.  The first
steps
toward this involve opening up the use of our Australia specific EPG
data
(which we purchase from a supplier of such information), and weather
information (which we obtain directly from the Bureau of Meteorology
here in
Australia).  This information is supplied in the form of a web service
from
our site, the information for which will have to wait until Isaac gets
his
mail, or I can get hold of a coder - 'cos I just have no idea :)
*    I am busy writing an updated user manual for our product.  This
will
unfortunately not be directly applicable to standard mythTV due to UI
changes we have made.  However, I will take it upon myself to provide a
user
manual document for mythTV.
*    Many of the changes we have made have been to improve the 'remote
control only' features of mythTV.  I am unsure how easily these will
apply
to the current version of myth, but we are certainly willing to share
anything we have done.
*    If ppl want, I can provide a simplified IR receiver circuit
diagram.
This will not be derived directly from our project, but I am a HW
engineer
by education (if not by beer consumption alone :) and can certainly
create
an easy solution for those who are intimidated by existing DIY
solutions.
*    We are currently working on getting HD digital working here in
Australia.  Once this has been done, our findings / code will be
supplied
back to the community.

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have.  I will reply as
quickly
and accurately as I can (however it is Saturday, so I will not be at my
computer all the time today).

Regards,

Andrew Jamieson