[mythtv-users] Re: TV Data Feeds (was: Commercial releases of MythTV?)

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Fri Mar 19 20:09:22 EST 2004

> Better yet, how about utilizing some swarm based download app (such as
> bittorrent) to facilitate?

The TV data belongs to the TV data sites.  It's a copyright violation,
or something like it, to "share" the data with unauthorized parties.
Other than that, not everyone is willing to open up their firewalls to
their mythtv boxes so something like bittorrent can work.

A better (albeit more difficult) method would be to work directly with
the TV data distributors and see if we can work out a deal for getting
full, legal feeds.

eg.  I'd personally have NO problem with sending my viewing/recording
habit data into a company like zap2it in exchange for free listings.
After all, that's just one way a company like Tivo tries to offset
costs.  And since mythtv is open source, it would be VERY easy to see
exactly what data is being sent, and make sure that no personal data
gets used, other than maybe some demographic info like zip/postal code
(needed for listings, anyway) and age.

-Chris