[mythtv-users] Commercial releases of MythTV?

Isaac Richards ijr at po.cwru.edu
Thu Mar 18 17:41:21 EST 2004

On Thursday 18 March 2004 05:02 pm, Scott LeBrun wrote:
> Hi guys.
>
> What is the general feeling about commercial releases of MythTV bundled
> with hardware?

I'm pretty fine with it.  I'd really like to see credit given in an obvious
place (unlike these guys), and it'd be fairly nice to get a cut of the sales,
but, it _is_ GPL, so they can do that if they really want to be sleazy.

> There's just been an article published in Australian Personal Computer
> magazine about 'Australia's first all-encompassing entertainment box',
> and guess what... it's MythTV - with absolutely no mention at all of the
> origins of the software. The article praises what an incredible job
> they've done with their 'proprietary interface'.

I'd like to see the article, if you've got access to a scanner..

> The company is called Development 1. http://www.d1.com.au   I've just
> checked their website - again no mention about MythTV or even the
> origins of the code. From the screenshots you can see they've even made
> their own theme - just ripping the words 'MythTV' and replacing with
> their company logo.

Someone posted about these people in the #mythtv irc channel the other day.
They _do_ mention Myth and the GPL at the very end of their manual.  Someone
said there was source in that little update iso they posted, but I haven't
bothered checking yet.

> It got me very annoyed that someone can just come along, rip the code
> that you guys have spent years working on for no payment at all, and
> sell it. If you guys are happy with this going on - fine, I'll drop it.
> If not, there's a nasty letter about to be sent to the editor :-)

I think a letter to the editor would be appropriate if it pointed out that the
product in question is Myth, and that the software is free to download, etc..
No need to be nasty =)

Isaac