[mythtv-users] Sparse programme names (feature suggestion)

Timo Boettcher spida at gmx.net
Thu Mar 18 17:28:52 EST 2004

Hi Mark,

* Mark Crutch <markc at qsiuk.com>, Thursday, March 18, 2004, 3:32:58 PM:

> Whenever the code has to check the name of a programme against
> the database (e.g. to determine whether or not to record it), I
> presume that there has to be an exact match. I'd like to see a
> configuration option to use "sparse" names - by which I mean the
> name with all punctuation removed, and all upper- or lower-case.
[...]
> A possible alternative might be to use the soundex of the name,
> or some other such system, but the general idea is to make it a
> little more tolerant of minor discrepancies in the programme names.

You are talking about fuzzy matching. Yes, that would definetly be
cool.
Php for example has the levenshstein function, which computes a
difference or distance between two texts as the number of letter
additions/deletions/substitutions that is needed to get from one text
to another.
http://de.php.net/manual/en/function.levenshtein.php

 Timo