[mythtv-users] Some questions before I breakout the Mastercard

Maarten mythtv at ultratux.org
Wed Mar 17 15:11:01 EST 2004

On Wednesday 17 March 2004 19:44, Jarod C. Wilson wrote:
> On Mar 17, 2004, at 03:44, Kevin D. Snodgrass wrote:

> >> RHEL3 WS? There's really no need. And nobody maintaining all the
> >> required packages for it, so you'd have to build lots of stuff
> >> yourself, which is somewhat counter-productive for an RPM-based
> >> distro, if you ask me. ;-)
> >
> > OK.  That idea is nuked.
>
> Which sort of adds a point against SuSE 9, despite Maarten's objections
> to my statement that its asking for trouble. Same situation as RHEL3,
> nobody maintaining all the packages. (Though hopefully, that'll change
> in the future, because yes, SuSE 9 really is quite nice).

This is only partially true in my opinion.  The reason google finds much less
online SuSE rpm depositories stems also from the fact that SuSE is currently
distributed on 2 DVDs, with a plethora of apps on it. At least in the period
I used redhat, that was not the case for RedHat. It then came on 2 CDs, with
an optional, non-free(!) powertools disk. Suse came on 7 CDs then.
Most of the stuff you needed to download for RH was already on the suse CDs.

I WILL admit that I'm _really_ biased against Redhat.  Let me explain...

I had the very unfortunate experience of being caught in the untimely
migration of RH to the Glibc, back in the 4.2 / 5.0 days. I've never had so
many crashes & problems with that single RH 5.0 as with all other
distributions I have ever used, and RH first denied that there were problems
and later bagatellized them. It took up to RH 5.2(!!!) before it all got
really fixed.  And all this due to Redhat deciding that glibc was ready  for
production when it wasn't, and a very lacking pre-release testing dept.
Come on, I had 2 unexplainable kernel panics a week, and nobody please dare
telling me that Redhat would be unable to reproduce all those problems
beforehand. I was not alone having problems, check back if you want...

So since then, I categorically *refuse* to touch anything redhat with a
ten-foot-pole.  This RH 5.0 business cost me "5 years of my life" as they say
and I still do not trust redhat to this very day.  Case(s) in point: other
_real_questionable_ examples of RedHats' bad management decisions was
installing an alpha version of GCC which broke just about everything
(including building the linux kernel itself! How could that have been
overlooked ?!?) The entire community has burned redhat for taking that stupid
step then. And the stubbornness with which they push(ed?) Gnome and held back
the much more useable and mature KDE also added to my dislike of them.

Sorry for getting so carried away here... ;-)   I'll stop right now.

Of course, none of this directly relates to anything MythTV, mind you.

Greetings,
Maarten