[mythtv-users] RE: PVR-350 mpeg2 --> DVD burning. No commercial cutting or fancy stuff.

James L. Paul james at mauibay.net
Mon Mar 15 16:47:52 EST 2004

On Monday 15 March 2004 08:04, Brian Rumple wrote:
> Burning the pvr-350 mpeg2 in Linux is really straight forward if you
> don't care about menus. There has been a script posted many times that
> will give you a DVD compliant mpeg2 and create the DVD file structure.
>

> What I want to do is put multiple vcd's or svcd's on a single dvd. I
> want to transfer my VHS tapes to DVD. It doesn't seem to make sense to
> capture these in DVD quality since they don't originate in DVD quality.
> This also seems to be the case with capturing TV input. Does that sound
> logical? I don't know a lot about video formats so I might be missing
> something here.

Very logical to me. I do most of my capturing at CVD quality, 352x480. That is
1/2D1 DVD resolution and very adequate for my cable TV source.

> I believe that it is possible to put VCD's and SVCD's on a DVD if the
> audio is 48k, which is all the DVD player will play.  I have to figure
> out how to transcode my mpeg2's to VCD with the correct audio format.

Many players are very flexible and play lower audio rates just fine. Many also
play the MP2 audio just fine and don't insist on having primary AC3 tracks.

> What is a good solution to maximizing storage on a DVD while maintaining
> VHS quality and allowing playback on a DVD player?

VCD video stream specs are compliant with the DVD-Video standard. I believe
that's well over 8 hours of VCD (generally VHS) quality video per DVD.

FWIW, I've migrated some of my old VCDs to DVD to consolidate my collection. I
simply extract the MPEG stream from the VCD or CVD disk, remux it with DVD
nav headers, and pass it to dvdauthor. The resulting disks are playable in
several hardware players I've tried, with wider compatibility than the
original VCD or CVD disks themselves. ;)