[mythtv-users] Comercials not getting flaged

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Mon Mar 15 14:36:53 EST 2004

On Sunday 14 March 2004 11:55, stan wrote:
> I've built a proof of concept machine based upon KnoppMYTH V4, and
> a simple WinTV card. On this machine comercial flaging works like
> a charm.
>
> Now, I'm building my "production" machine. It's based upon KnoppMYTH
> V4R2, and ahs a PVR-350, and a PVR-250 capture card. I have pretty
> much the same settings for comrecail flaging on this machine, but no
> comercial flaging ever gets done.
>
> Is this beacuse of the different capture cards? Can I make this work
> somehow?

With software encoding, some basic commercial flagging gets done during
the actual recording/encoding process, while a more robust flagging
happens later.

With hardware encoding, no commercial flagging is done until after the
recording is finished, and it take (as a rule of thumb) somewhere in
the neighborhood of 1 - 1.5 times the length of the program to
complete.  So if you're watching before that, your commercials won't be
flagged.

Also, if you restart mythbackend while it's flagging commercials, they
won't ever get flagged unless you run 'mythcommflag -f'.

Finally, make sure you've got the 'Automaticall flag commercials' option
turned on.

-JAC