[mythtv-users] How to get Homebrew transmitter to work?

Brian Stults bstults at crim.ufl.edu
Mon Mar 15 12:26:06 EST 2004

Steven Rubano wrote:
> Here’s what I did to get another instance of LIRC to run to try and
> control my serial transmitter:
> http://members.cox.net/rwraithr/IRBlaster_Howto.txt
>
> I followed this exactly (except for placing all the configuration files
> appropriately for KnopMyth such as instead of using the
> /etc/modules.conf, I placed it in the ivtv config file in knoppmyth,
> etc. I also used the lirc2remote.sh script (found here:
>  http://members.cox.net/rwraithr/) to convert LIRC.
>
> After doing all this I then ran ./setup.sh and chose Option 1, Homebrew
> Serial on for my COMM 1 port (the correct IRQ’s and such match what’s in
> my BIOS settings), select Transmit diode and Software carrier then ran
> the config. After following the IRBLAster_Howto.txt on making the file
> then make install and copied my Digital Cable box remote config file to
> remoted.conf to the /etc/ directory, I tried loading up remote_serial
> manually (which was renamed from lirc_serial) and everything loads
> fine…so far so good. The problem I run into is when I do a
> “remote_irsend SEND_ONCE SA2000 POWER” I receive something to the effect
> of  “Your device does not support sending”. I already performed the
> “setserial ttyS0 uart none” command prior to everything. Here’s where
> I’m stuck! I’ve tried everything, even running ./config.sh
> –with-transmitter…..anyone have any Ideas??

I had this exact same problem, and it frustrated me for a long time.
For some reason, the "--with-transmitter" flag was never included in
./configure.sh, even when I was sure to have checked it in ./setup.sh.
I ended up doing this...

1) execute ./setup.sh checking all the stuff you mentioned
2) select "Save configuration and exit"
3) manually edit ./configure.sh to include --with-transmitter
4) execute ./configure.sh
5) make && make install

My ./configure.sh looks like this:

----------- snip, snip -----------
#!/bin/bash

./configure \
--with-module-dir=/lib/modules/2.4.24/misc \
--with-transmitter \
--with-x \
--with-driver=serial \
--with-major=72 \