[mythtv-users] Just built MythTV, beginner questions

Maarten van den Berg mythtv at ultratux.org
Sun Mar 14 22:49:36 EST 2004

On Monday 15 March 2004 00:24, Rudy Zijlstra wrote:
> Maarten van den Berg wrote:

Hi Rudy,

> >Ah, does essent use a special range ?  No, I'm located in amsterdam (UPC)
> >
> >Maarten
>
> Essent uses a frequency layout starting at 160MHz with 8 MHz increments.
> Not to be found in any standard, though very efficient in bandwidth.
> A quick look at the UCP website shows that they are doing basically the
> same for Amsterdam, with 2 exceptions: they are giving out 2 frequencies
> to decoder outputs (limitation of the decoders: they cannot be
> programmed at other frequencies).

Hm... Now I'm getting confused.  So this is the reason those bastards have all
the stations programmed off-channel (like, 61+ and 22- and so on) ?
(Well, saving bandwidth is good thing of course, so channels will fit :-)
The bit about two frequencies to decoders... isn't that just a waste of
bandwidth, thereby effectively nulling any that was saved ?

I do have problems with tuning everything but its not that I _cannot_ tune to
the channel, its just that its a lot of work to get everything set up with
the scantv / kwintv / upc listings. But we'll get there, eventually... :-)

Incidentally, I'm going out to buy my new hardware for the MythTV box early
tomorrow, so I may have a much nicer setup sometime tomorrow night... :-))
My choice for now is an Asus MB and an AMD AThlon 2400-2600+ and 256 MB ram.
The rest I either already have laying around or I will try to "free it up" (by
means of making backups, mostly).
I still have a lot of "tweaking"(hacking) to do to the case if I want to get
it near-silent (which I do). I'm planning on mounting a real large 120mm fan
at the lower front and _taking_out_ the PSU fan. That may sound very scary
(and it IS !) but by sealing off enough air exits other than the PSU vent my
guess is I'll build up enough airpressure to keep the PSU cool enough.
What do you think ?  Or are you no hardware-freak ? ;-)

About those quality problems...  I started afresh this morning by changing the
hostname and subsequently doing all settings anew, and lo and behold, live tv
goes (much) better than yesterday. I guess I might have made the wrong
choices in the mpeg4 /rtjpeg menus and adjacent ones.  I'm not saying it
looks good now, but its already useful (current resolution: 288x192) which is
definitely more than it was yesterday.

Thanks,
Maarten