[mythtv-users] mythtv/pvr350/australia

jose rubio debian at nc.rr.com
Sat Mar 13 14:27:42 EST 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-11 at 22:54, Brian May wrote:
> Sorry to followup on my own email, but I suddenly discovered my harddisk
> root partition was full.
>
> This lead me to two discoveries:
>
> 1. mythtv records live TV to /var/cache/mythtv/ringbuf5.nuv. So
> I have to put this on my large partition, not the small one...

yes.

> 2. mythtv does this even when watching it live. Is this correct? For
> some reason I thought it only saved data to harddisk if running behind
> the livetv - e.g. paused it.

Live-tv records into the ringbuffer and plays from the ringbuffer.  if
the ringbuffer would fill up after about 30 minutes this was the
solution to problem #1.

Problem #2:

* Sometimes the TV card "crashes", and while the computer is still OK,
I can't update the TV display without a reboot. Restarting X doesn't
help. This seems to be connected when displaying the TV program guide.
When I just tried displaying the (semi-transparent) program guide, 1st
try, TV picture freezes and wont restart. 2nd try same. 3rd try no
response. Nothing logged in /var/log/debug, /var/log/kern.log or
/var/log/mythbackend.log.  Seems to be reproducable on demand.

This is a know ivtv problem. you should read the ivtv mailing list.

Problem #4:

* The on screen display is too big. I found adjustments to change the
size of the menus, etc, but the OSD is still too big when watching TV
shows. Is there any reason why? How do I fix this?

The 350's tv-out is optimized for tv hence you need to adjust the
display.  it's all in mythfrontend under setup... i forget where
though...

The volume for the 350's tvout is probably controlled by your tv, if you
are using the default setup that is.

2-second delay when changing channels is pretty good.  not too long ago
someone was complaining about a 5 seconds delay :-)

mythvideo and mplayer will not work with the 350's tvout unless you do
some fancy patching... and even then you'll have to get lucky.  Hope is
that when the next version of ivtv comes out it will work.

All this is being heavily worked on in the ivtv mailing list.

good luck with the rest of the questions, I don't use PAL so I can't
help you much.

-jose-