[mythtv-users] lirc woes: gray haupauge remote

Eric Hammersley eric at sassi.com
Sat Mar 13 03:34:22 EST 2004

I fought with this ever since AT posted that he found the apt package issue.  I did apt-get remove on lirc and lirc-kmdl.  Then I double checked to make sure all the files were in fact removed from the system by downloading the RPMs from atrpms and running an rpm -qpl on them.  I then rebooted to make sure there were no stray old modules still loaded.  Next I ran an upgrade on the lirc-lib package to make sure it was up to the 20040311 level and verified this via the file time stamp and through Synaptic.  Once I was happy that the lirc-lib package was current I loaded the lirc-kmdl and lirc packages via Synaptic.  I felt I had more control via Synaptic.  I verified my modules.conf settings... rebooted one last time then chkconfig and service lircd start.  All was well.

Long way of doing it... yeah, but I'm by far not a linux expert so I danced with it for a little bit before I made it work.  I had been without the remote for a week and was growing tired of it.  Actually I was about an hour away from a total rebuild before I got it running.  I couldn't shake the 0308 version for the longest time.  I believe now it was due to lagging modules loaded while I was upgrading.  Lesson learned.  I hope this helps you in some way.

Kudos on Mythtv.  Wonderful program, my thanks to the many developers.