[mythtv-users] Success!!!

Matt Hannan matthew.j.hannan at verizon.net
Sat Mar 13 01:08:51 EST 2004

So I cheated. Sue me!

Started watching the list fill up with questions about how to use the
PVR-350 TV-Out and then running into headaches of my own with it, I
decided to walk a different path.

Went out and got the Mad Dog Predator MX 440 BX.

I knew the evening was going to be a good one when I powered on the
first time with the TV hooked via S-Video to the Mad Dog and I watched
the POST process on the telly and the VGA monitor at the same time!!! It
works out of the box at a hardware level!!!

Spent an hour or two screwing with XF86Config settings and then noticed
that in my XFree86 log a line that said something about two displays
being hooked up, but only one being allowed. init 3, disconnect VGA,
init 5 and BAM!!! Up came RedHat on the TV!!!

Fired up MythFrontend and had The Jimmy Kimmel Show with synched sound.
Whoo Whoo!! Not the best show in the world, but for a test of mouths and
voices, it works!

Next step is to test a recording, so I am filling the myth database
right now. This is a topic for another post.

But I think everything is good.

My one question in this post is: Of what benefit is the PVR-350's
TV-out? Is it only if you do not have any other way to pass the signal
to the TV? My answer: Stop wasting your time. For $70 I got a kicking
video card and very little headache in getting MythTV to run on it.

OK, two questions: How can I get BOTH the TV and the VGA to display, or
maybe even better would be to have MythTV ONLY on the TV and the rest of
RedHat on the VGA. I don't mind having a TV and a monitor next to each
other.

Also, BIG thanks to everyone, especially Isaac, Jarod and Axel.