[mythtv-users] Random Recording Times Possible?

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Fri Mar 12 17:33:22 EST 2004

Dan Berger wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I am a big Knick fan (basketball). I want to have MythTV automatically
> record every one of their games. Problem is: they are on different channels,
> on different days, at different times. Is this doable in any way? I don't
> think it is, but I'm sure others have run into this quandry.

There is yet any record rule type for matching wildcards so
you can't set a rule to match title "NBA Basketball" subtitle
"%Knick%". Even if there were...

> Problem with that is it will record the repeats of the games
> (there are b/w 2 and 3 of each game)

this would be a problem. If you set duplicate matching to record
"Knick vs Pacer" once, that would work fine for that game but
then it wouldn't record the next game against Indiana either.

Go to Schedule Recordings->Search Listings->Descriptions and
add a keyword for "Knicks". This will store the keyword so
you can go back any time and search for Knicks games again
without having to retype.

I have "Lakers" and "Rockets" and about once a week I check
for upcoming games. When I find ones that I want, I set a
single record rule and add either 60 or 90 minutes End Late
time in case there is overtime. This, of course depends on
what else is scheduled after the game and how concerned I am
about missing a possible triple-overtime ;-).

This is another reason that one complex rule may not work.
Different games may have different priority and extra time to
best fit your schedule so you really do need to look at each
game individually.

--   bjm