[mythtv-users] Cutting commercials without expensive transcoding

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Fri Mar 12 13:52:25 EST 2004

> If I capture video directly as DivX (using vcr/avifile, or mplayer, or
> whatever)

And if you do that in mythtv to mpeg4 or rtjpeg, transcoding works just
fine and takes about 3 minutes per half-hour show on my box to cut out
the commercials, since it only needs to reencode a few frames around the
cut-out GOP to keep things in sync.

And yes, you are correct that this thread went a bit off course from the
original poster's question.  As to that question, search the dev list
archives.  There is an active attempt to add this "quick" cutting of
mpeg2 files to mythtranscode, but there are some codec/sync issues that
are currently blocking its imminent completion.

--
Chris Petersen
Programmer / Web Designer