[mythtv-users] RE: Migrating to Linux Kernel 2.6.3 with Fedora Core 1- getting sound (btaudio)

Paul Harvey paulharvey at myrealbox.com
Fri Mar 12 00:33:18 EST 2004

Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 10:49:19 -0500
From: "Adrian Byng-Clarke" <adrianbc at MIT.EDU>
Subject: [mythtv-users] Migrating to Linux Kernel 2.6.3 with Fedora
Core 1- getting sound (btaudio)
To: <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>

Frustrated by trying to get bttv and especially btaudio working on my 2.4.22
kernel (Fedora Core 1), I decided to give 2.6.3 a try. According to a number
of posts, the 2.6 kernels has some better support of if v4l hardware.

I have an osprey 200 which should now work with btaudio. I am not using a
pass thru cable as the board has stereo inputs

I compiled the 2.6.3 kernel with the i2c, tvaudio, btaudio, bttv modules
etc.. Before restarting I moved my /etc/sysconfig/hwconf so that the
hardware would be configured from scratch.

Upon restarting, a new module configuration now at /etc/modprobe.conf was
created.  Much more of my hardware was recognized right off the bat (my
previous modules.conf was only 2 lines)...

[root at tortoise root]# more /etc/modprobe.conf
alias eth0 tulip
alias char-major-81 bttv
alias char-major-195 nvidia-1.0-4363
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias char-major-116 snd
alias /dev/dsp btaudio
alias soundcard sb
alias eth1 tulip

I am now able to start xawtv and see video without having to modprobe any
modules. I also got mythtv working except for that pesky audio. Can anyone
offer any advice? Experience with the Osprey 200 would be especially helpful

One thing that I have noticed is that some of the modules still require me
to modprobe them despite the fact that they are in my /etc/modprobe.conf

Here is my lsmod after startup:

[root at tortoise root]# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
ipx                    28364  -
ipv6                  237248  -
lp                     11720  -
autofs4                14784  -
iptable_filter          2528  -
ip_tables              15808  -
tulip                  45472  -
ohci1394               34916  -
ieee1394               79632  -
floppy                 57972  -
sg                     37152  -
scsi_mod              117208  -
parport_pc             25320  -
parport                42728  -
thermal                13456  -
processor              17584  -
fan                     3788  -
button                  5880  -
battery                 9356  -
asus_acpi              10296  -
ac                      4908  -
ext3                  117576  -
jbd                    56952  -

bttv is strangely absent.

Even if I modprobe tvaudio, tvmixer, bttv, tuner, videodev btaudio, msp3400
are load at the command line, I still can't record any sound.

Also I'm a little confused why bttv and btaudio need to be loaded even
though they are in my modprobe.conf

Overall, I have to say that the performance is noticeable better with 2.6.3.
Amazingly running nuvexport takes almost half the time for equivalent files.
Also the system is much more stable.

Thanks,

Adrian

------------------------------

I worked a long time to get it working, but btaudio works great for me now!

Have you looked in dmesg to make sure it is finding the msp3400?

I'm using an ATI TV wonder, but it should be fairly similar with your card.

Here is my modules.conf  with Fedora Core 1 2.4.22 kernel (I need to working
on the 2.6 kernel again!).

alias char-major-81     videodev
alias char-major-81-0   bttv
alias char-major-89     i2c-dev
alias usb-controller    usb-uhci
alias sound-slot-0      via82cxxx_audio
alias sound-slot-1      btaudio
alias sound-service-1-0 btaudio

options i2c-core        i2c_debug=1
options i2c-algo-bit    bit_test=1
pre-install btaudio modprobe via82cxxx_audio # to make sure that the sound
card uses dsp0, and btaudio uses dsp1
pre-install bttv modprobe -k msp3400; modprobe -k tuner
options bttv card=63 tuner=2  # To specify TV Wonder and Philips NTSC tuner

I also have the following in my rc.local

/sbin/modprobe bttv
/sbin/modprobe btaudio