[mythtv-users] Multiple tuners, multiple sources...

Scott Nicholson mythtv at scottnic.com
Thu Mar 11 15:41:40 EST 2004

Haven't actually started building my Mythbox yet... Just wanted to clarify
an issue:

I'll be getting digital cable in the near future, with one receiver. I've
also got USDTV, which is an over-the-air HDTV receiver with a few
non-broadcast channels (Food Network, HDTV, etc.).

I'll be building my Mythbox with two tuners (probably two Avermedia M179).

I want to connect the digital cable receiver to one of the tuners. I'd like
to be able to connect both the USDTV (on S-video) AND my cable (on coax) to
the second tuner -- so that analog cable channels are available.

If I do that, that means that some channels (the broadcast networks, for
example) will be available from three sources: Tuner1, Tuner2-svid, and
Tuner2-coax.

Other channels will be available from two sources (Tuner1 and one of the
Tuner2 inputs)

And then there will be several channels that will only be available from
Tuner1.

Does Myth handle this kind of thing okay? I can set priorities on which
source to record from, right? Can I do this on a per-channel basis? (i.e.
Food Network over the USDTV will be better quality than the Digital Cable
Food Network, since it's HD, but Nickelodeon will be better on the Digital
Cable than on the Analog Cable (and not available at all on the USDTV).

TIA for clarification and information.
Scott

---