[mythtv-users] No spdif audio in MythTV

Brian Donaldson bdonaldson at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 11 15:04:45 EST 2004

I almost have my first MythTV box up and running.  Here's my specs:

Athlon 2000
PVR-250
Geforce4 MX
Fedora Core 1
Installed per Jarod's instructions.

I am using an Abit KD7A motherboard with the VIA8235 southbridge.  It has an
optical spdif output on the motherboard.  So far I have successfully setup
MythVideo and MythDVD to use xine with the spdif connection.  The only
remaining problem is that I cannot get any audio from live or recorded
television from MythTV.

I have tried using "ALSA:iec958" and "/dev/dsp" as audio output devices.  I
have also tried checking and unchecking the "Enable AC3 to SPDIF
passthrough" for both devices.  In gnome-alsamixer I have everything unmuted
and the volumes maxed out.  There isn't an option specifically labeled
"spdif" in gnome-alsamixer, but there are two items that I believe relate to
spdif, they are "IEC958" and "IEC958 Output".  Currently, both of these
options are checked.

When I run live TV w/the ac3 passthrough turned off I get the following
output:

Opening ALSA audio device 'iec958'.
ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:370:(snd_pcm_hw_sw_params) SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_SW_PARAMS
failed: Invalid argument
Unable to set sw params for playback: Invalid argument
Error setting audio params: Invalid argument

When I run live TV w/the ac3 passthrough turned on I get the following
output:

Opening ALSA audio device 'iec958'.
Playback open error: Device or resource busy

I don't know what else would be using the iec958 device.  Is there a way to
check?  Any ideas on what might be causing this problem?

Thanks,

Brian