[mythtv-users] Is my p3-700 fast enough for a wintv capture card?

Cecil Watson cwatson at linkline.com
Wed Mar 10 22:44:17 EST 2004

Darren Richards wrote:

>A friend of mine gave me an older Hauppauge WinTV capture card that I would like to use as a second capture card.  (My primary card is a PVR-350).  I installed the card and drivers and got everything working for the most part, but the video is choppy, and watching live tv takes 100% of my CPU at the default compression settings.
>
>Before I burn too many BTU's trying to get it working, could someone tell me if my P3-700 is sufficient to simultaneously encode/decode and watch live TV?  Or should I be looking at a PVR-250 for my second capture card?
>
>If my p3-700 won't cut it, then how do I remove the second card from mythtv?  I can add cards in the mythtvsetup menu, but I can't see how to remove it...
>
>Thanks,
>darren

In my experience,a P3-700 isn't powerful enough to encode and decode w/
a software based card.  Since your 350 is primary it will be used first
to record(less you configure a profile for the WinTV and use that).
Using the WinTV would come into play if you want to record two shows at
the same time or watch one while another is being recorded.

When you run mythtvsetup, the first question it asked is if you'd like
to delete the cards in the database.  Answer yes then reconfigure the 350.

Cecil