[mythtv-users] WinTV GO Audio

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Wed Mar 10 14:52:56 EST 2004

At 07:00 PM 3/10/2004 +0000, Matthew Carlin wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I just completed a working MythTV install off of Red Hat 9 using Jarod's
>guide.  I have onboard sound but I'm using a soundblaster PCI which works
>just fine. I had an ATI TV Wonder card, but it performed poorly (and, as I
>have since figured out, it doesn't work with btaudio), so I gave it up,
>and bought a Hauppauge Win TV Go. The video is working nicely, but of
>course, now I find that it doesn't work with btaudio either.
>
>I found this from searching the archives:
>
>>Hauppauge WinTV Go. Video capture works with older versions of this card,
>>which use a bt878-compatible chip; newer versions use a different chip
>>(CX21881) that is not yet supported by V4L (a driver is under development;
>>watch http//bytesex.org/cx88/ for news). Audio requires using a jumper to a
>>sound card; btaudio does NOT work.
>
>Ok, so, does that mean I can still get audio working on the card (ie, do I
>save a return trip to Fry's to exchange the sucker)? If so, can someone
>point me to information about how to do so? I searched the list for posts
>about using a jumper for the card, but I couldn't find any.

The Hauppauge WinTV Go card normally comes packaged with a short audio
jumper cable, and printed instructions about how to use it to connect the
card's audio out to line-in on a sound card. Because this information is
pretty clear in the how-to-install docs that come with the card, I suppose
nobody thinks it needs special explanation in a Myth context.

>One more question/suggestion: Did I miss a warning somewhere about some bt
>based V4L cards not working with btaudio? If not, could someone put such a
>warning on the mythtv site, or in one of the guides? (I only found it out
>incidentally, after several days of reading the archives to solve other
>problems)

Back when I was an active user of MythTV, I wrote some introductory docs
that mentioned the fact that bttv-based cards often do not support btaudio.
I think they are only to be found in the archives, though, much as you did
(in fact, I believe the item you quote above is from one of my drafts).

In practice, use of btaudio is the exception ... the normal way to do the
audio portion of vidcap in Linux (and in Windows, for that matter) is via a
jumper cable to the sound card ... this is true of just about any vidcap
software, not just MythTV. The draft you seem to have found should discuss
other cards, including mention of the ones that are reported to work with
btaudio.