[mythtv-users] Re: PVR-350: audio without patch cable (Andrew Dodd)

Andreas Weder aweder at mac.com
Wed Mar 10 12:28:15 EST 2004

Andrew,

> > I wonder how many of you are using a PVR-350 with mythTV without
> > an audio patch cable, but in a setting, which makes the PVR-350
> > take audio over the PCI bus.
> >
> > Did you have to apply any special settings in modules.conf?
> Almost everyone?
>
> Unless your 350 is horrendously misconfigured, the audio will be
> in the recorded
> MPEG program stream.
>
> No need for a patch cable with any ivtv board.  Patch cables are
> only for "dumb"
> capture chipsets like the Bt8x8 and cx88 - And even then some
> 878s and probably
> the cx88s can pass audio over the PCI bus too.

that's what I thought.

In fact, I do get audio after a fresh installation ivtv and
mythTV, but loose it after a couple of reboots.

Any idea how a 350 could be horrendously misconfigured to cause
such behaviour?

I've checked msp3400.o (I'm loading a good version), alsamixer
settings, test_ioctl settings (input/output indices, mute/unmute).

One thing coming to my mind right now: could the SMP kernel on
my hyperthreading P4 be the culprit?

As far as I know there are issues with SMP and only newer
(2.6.x) versions of the kernel properly support hyperthreading
CPUs.

I'm running FC1, mythTV 0.14, ivtv 0.1.19 with a HT P4 2.4 GHz
CPU, and am installing all software using ATrpms binary pkgs.

Andreas