[mythtv-users] Myth can't tune pvr-250

Len Reed lreed at linuxcare.com
Wed Mar 10 11:58:23 EST 2004

Preston Crow wrote:
> I have a PVR-250, and using 'ptune.pl --channel 62', I can change
> channels, and then use 'cat /dev/video0 > file.mpg' to get a perfectly
> fine mpeg file.  So the driver seems to be working fine.
>
>>From Myth, if I try to watch TV, I just get static with no sound.
>
> I have the frequency set to us-cable.
>
> System:
> Gentoo distribution with accept ~x86; everything current.
> 2.6.4-rc1
> ivtv-0.1.9 patched with the 20040206 2.6 patch.
> Mythtv 0.14
>
> After playing with ptune.pl, I got it to tune to a channel, and I could
> watch it in Myth, but trying to change channels in Myth had no effect.
> After that, changing channels with ptune.pl had no effect.  I even
> rebooted, and it was still stuck on the same channel, so I powered down,
> and now I'm just getting static from Myth.
>
> I'm rather confused at this point.

Just yesterday I replaced my Hauppauge WinTV (frame grabber) card with a
PVR250.  I had to fool around a good bit to get it to tune.

1. The coupling is to tuner0 instead of Television (as it was on the
other card).

2. I forced tuner type 2 for the Philips FI1236 on the card.  In
/etc/modules.conf:
options tuner type=2

In fact, let me give you it all:
alias char-major-81 ivtv
options ivtv mpg_buffers=90
add above ivtv msp3400 saa71115 tuner
options tuner type=2 debug=1

Be sure to run "depmod -a" after editing modules.conf.

The tuner debug causes it to dump to syslog useful info each time it
retunes.

3. At this point I could change channels on live TV but recording didn't
change channels.  I actually ended up running mythtv setup with "discard
all capture cards" = yes and "destroy database" = no and re-entered the
PVR250 info.  I then re-ran mythfilldatabase.  Overkill, maybe, but at
the end of all that, everything worked fine.  I'll be adding the frame
capture card back in later this week (as a distinctly 2nd-rate 2nd card).