[mythtv-users] Transcode entire DVD (menus, etc) to MPEG4?

Harley Cole-Puls cole0103 at flinders.edu.au
Tue Mar 9 11:48:02 EST 2004

Quoting Franco <net.surfer at tiscalinet.it>:

> Hi,
>
> > My question was mostly on how to save disc space by converting the mpeg2
> > video to mpeg4
>
> yes, I know that was the initial question but sorry, I don't have a
> better answer than the others...

> > My understanding is that this is already possible (although maybe not
> from
> > within Myth?), assuming disk space isn't an issue.
> > In fact, I don't think you even have to mount the image -- you just rip
> the
> > DVD to a folder
>
> Hmm... yes, you think... but did you try it? I was thinking it too,
> before giving it a try. What do you mean by "rip the DVD to a folder" ?
> Using the "cp" command ? I've already tried in various ways, and always got
> the same I/O error I get with "dd" ....
>
> Franco

Franco you need to try the dvdbackup program. I dont know where to get it,
other than if you use gentoo there is an ebuild. It lets you back up the entire
disk including menus, or just the feature movie.

I have used dvdbackup to backup several short dvd's including menus and
without, and they have all played back perfectly in linux, and when burnt onto
dvd's using dvd+rw-tools

Harley