[mythtv-users] Trouble with LIRC following Jarrod's guide.

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Tue Mar 9 03:29:20 EST 2004

On Mar 8, 2004, at 15:37, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:

> On Monday 08 March 2004 17:54, tracyconley wrote:
>> I am trying to do my first install of mythtv following Jarrod's guide
>> but in section 11 when it try to execute the apt get below it comes
>> back not finding the package.  I am running on red hart fedora and
>> have tried to follow the directions but I don't know what I am doing
>> wrong.  I am a relative novice with Linux and would be grateful for
>> any assistance.
>>
>> Can someone help please?
>> _______ _________
>>
>> [root at mythtv01 root]# export MYKERNEL=`uname -r`
>> [root at mythtv01 root]# apt-get install lirc-kmdl-$MYKERNEL
>> Reading Package Lists... Done
>> Building Dependency Tree... Done
>> E: Couldn't find package lirc-kmdl-2.4.22-1.2166.nptl_35.rhfc1.at
>> [root at mythtv01 root]#
>
> I think you need to upgrade your kernel.  Axel pretty much only keeps
> kernel & kernel module packages for the most recent kernel.  2166 was
> replaced a week or two ago.  I have 2174; there might be something
> later.

There have been two releases of 2174 now (nptl_37 and nptl_38, IIRC).
To attempt to sum up what Axel has said, usually, he'll keep around
kernel modules for older kernels for a little while, but in this case,
the move from 2166 to 2174 was to patch the mremap vulnerability in all
prior kernels. Since the prior kernels were unsafe (okay, not a huge
deal for a Myth box, but ATrpms is used for more than just Myth... ;-),
they were 86'd.

Long story short, JAC is right, you'll have to upgrade your kernel and
all kernel modules.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...