[mythtv-users] Hardware review before the plunge..

Harry Orenstein ho_9 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 8 12:18:49 EST 2004

>From: Chad J McQuinn <chadmcquinn at insightbb.com>
>To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Hardware review before the plunge..
>Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2004 14:19:15 -0500
.
<snip>
.
>I assume M7V is something like a Via KT333 or KT400 chipset? I have an asus
>a7v8x-x and have had nothing but problems with it running linux. There are
>apparently known issues with these chipsets and large amounts of dma
>traffic. I get kernel panics if I try to use the pvr250 (not applicable to
>you since this is a frontent only) and at least once a month, a kernel
>panic due to high network usage. Some people have no problems at all, but
>if you do a google search you will find a lot of people that do have
>problems.
>
>-Chad

Yet I have an A7V8X-X mobo and have never had any problems with
it whatsoever.  Runs Mandrake 9.1 like a champ.  No DMA problems,
runs ALSA, mplayer, Myth, xine, ogle without any framedrops and I
never seem to exceed 10% CPU.  I also have a PVR-250 (rev 1) and
I use a GFMX440se.  All other (sound, nic, ..) are using the mobo
built-ins.  Athlon XP2000+, 512MB DDR, 80GB WD HD (to complete
the config listing).  Guess I'm one of the former "some people".  ;-)

Quoth the raven: YMMV

-- Harry O.