[mythtv-users] v-stream pvr 883

Andrew Dodd atd7 at cornell.edu
Mon Mar 8 11:05:23 EST 2004

Quoting Craig Tinson <craig at 8010.co.uk>:

> hey guys..
>
> I was in my local computer shop a couple of days ago.. was looking for
> tv cards.. he said he had the above card..
>
> I decided to check it out before buying it but can't seem to find much
> info on it..
>
> anyone heard of it before? or even better got one and have it working
> with mythtv?
>
> would appreciate any comments before handing over cash :)
OK, I probably should have googled before replying.

http://www.lightcomputers.com/brands/vstreamltv883rf.htm

I was correct, it's a KWorld card using a "Conexant 10-bit" (i.e. cx88) chipset.

Quality-wise, this is one of the better "dumb" capture cards due to the cx88
chipset, which has a good reputation.  Linux support is alpha.  No hardware MPEG
encoding.  Currently the cheapest known hardware MPEG encoder is the Avermedia
M179, which sold for $79 at NewEgg last time I checked, with the Windows XP MCE
version of the PVR-250 being the next cheapest at $88 on eBay.