[mythtv-users] cable distribution amplifiers

Gerald Schepens schepens at shaw.ca
Mon Mar 8 02:55:53 EST 2004

I agree with the advice below, but despite that, a cable amp was the
right solution for me.  I think the success you have with an amp depends
on why the signal's bad in the first place.  If there's bad cabling or a
high degree of noise injected somewhere, the amp will just amplify the
noise along with the signal and you won't really help things.  In that
case you have to replace bad cable, reduce cable length, or move cable
to decrease signal loss and induced noise, or else nag your cable
company to come out and ensure your signal strength is up to snuff.

My case was a bit different.  I needed an amplifier to replace a bunch
of splitters.  I had two coax splitters behind my entertainment centre.
One was a three-way, which fed the other, a two-way.  I was connecting a
TV, my capture card, my digital cable box and my VCR.  By the time the
signal power got split that many directions, through two splits, with
your typical low-quality non-powered, ungrounded splitters, there was
not much left of the signal.  But once I put the amplifier in, the
signal was much cleaner and my hookups were far simpler.  I had the
incoming cable and four outs from the amp, and that was all there was to
it.  My signal quality is far better now, which is important because
I've found that the TV capture process seems to exacerbate the badness
of a bad signal.

My amp's a powered Recotron 4-output 10 dB uhf/vhf/fm amplifier, for the
record.