[mythtv-users] No Sound During Playback

David A. Greene greened at obbligato.org
Sat Mar 6 20:08:21 EST 2004

Now that I've got LiveTV working and the odd (non-)recording
problems mysteriously went away, I've begun to try to actually
watch the stuff I've recorded.

So I fired up my first selection and...no sound.  Sound works
great in live tv.  I fiddled around some with alsamixer, then
I fiddled some more.  The surest sign of insanity is to repeat
an action expecting a different outcome.  Well, I'm not
completely insane yet because all of a sudden I got sound!
I was happily watching for about 15 minutes and then the
sound cut out.  I tried fiddling with alsamixer again but
had no luck.  Ever since I've been unable to get sound on that
or any other recording.  Live tv continues to perform very well.

I _may_ have interrupted the playback when the sound cut out.
That is, I might have gone back to the main menu or brought up
some other menu.  Unfortunately, this was several days ago
so I can't remember everything that happened.  I've been trying
to get the sound working so I can repeat the experiment.

I have a C-Media 8738-MC6 (the AudioExcel TheaterExcel).  I also
have an Intel ICH5 built-in on the motherboard but Myth is not
using it.  The capture board is a Hauppage WinTV Theater.

I've been unable to find any references to this problem in the
docs, faqs or mailing lists.  If I've missed something, can
someone kindly point me in the right direction?  Has anyone
else experienced this problem?  Any solutions?

Thanks to all the developers.  This is a really great project!

                                -Dave