[mythtv-users] one IR receiver to rule them all?

Scott Rowe mythgnomer at rowelab.com
Sat Mar 6 23:16:46 EST 2004

Hrmm.. Okay.. I think there's a misunderstanding here. The _receiver_
attached to the PVR-x50 is just that.. A receiver.  It can't control another
device like a dish network receiver. You'd need a _transmitter_ or a
_transceiver_ (both receiver and transmitter) to send IR to another device.

That being said, some folks (myself included) have been able to control
multiple cable boxes using a serial cable to each of the cable boxes. Now,
one remote pointed at either PVR-x50 can control the whole system. That's
not to say you'd want to set them both up. You only need one _receiver_ to
control any number of systems. The control of a cable box and IR reception
are most often _not_ tied together.

-Scott Rowe