[mythtv-users] mythtvsetup won't run, exits with errors (Fedora)

match at ece.utah.edu match at ece.utah.edu
Sat Mar 6 20:31:30 EST 2004

Thanks for the reply:

On 6 Mar 2004 at 19:21, Cam Vertesi wrote:

> This error means that it can't connect to your mysql database.
>
> 1) make sure that mysql is running:
> # ps -ael |grep mysql
> look for at least one instance of mysql

it's running

> 2) make sure that your databases actually exist in mysql.  I don't know
> sql enough to help you out here, but you can just repeat the steps
> outlined in Jarod's howto.

I can't tell if they exist either. I've executed the instructions in
Jarod's HOW_TO over and over...

I thought it might be a permissions thing, but if you can't find the
database, how can you set permissions?

Is there an alternate way to create the databases?

> 3) make sure that mythbackend is started.  If you have it set up as a
> daemon, use "service mythbackend start"

Starting it makes no difference. I think it was running.

> 4) your firewall and/or tcpwrappers can get in the way of the connection
> to mysql.  Comment out all entries from /etc/hosts.deny , and clear your
> firewall (by default, you can use "service iptables stop" ).

Made no difference.

Marvin