[mythtv-users] Recording shows to DVD?

stan stanb at panix.com
Sat Mar 6 17:35:57 EST 2004

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 05:12:19PM -0500, Andrew Dodd wrote:
> Quoting "Boyd II, Willy" <wboyd at fulbright.com>:
>

> > pvr-250 right?  I don't think you want the dvb stuff then.  I was referring
> > to this script:
> >
> > ---------------
> > #!/bin/sh
> >
> > mkfifo aud0
> > mkfifo vid0
> > mkfifo dvdmpg
> >
> > mpeg2desc -a0 < $1 > aud0 &
> > mpeg2desc -v0 < $1 > vid0 &
> > mplex -f 8 -V -o dvdmpg aud0 vid0 &
> > dvdauthor -o $2 -f dvdmpg
> > dvdauthor -o $2 -T
> >
> > rm aud0
> > rm vid0
> > rm dvdmpg
> > ----------------
> >
> > Pass it the .nuv file and a name for the new dvd project.  You should end
> > up
> > with a directory which you can mkisofs into a ISO then burn it.  (Or are
> > people somehow bypassing the mkisofs step to burn?  lemme know if so...)
> That's my script.  :)
>
> The requirements are mjpegtools (provides mplex) and dvdauthor (provides
> mpeg2desc and dvdauthor).
>
> mkisofs is needed, but it's possible to pipe the output of mkisofs directly to
> cdrecord without any file being written to disc.
>
> An example:
> ----------
> #!/bin/sh
> TSIZE=`mkisofs -dvd-video -udf -q -print-size .`
> mkisofs -dvd-video -udf -V "$1" . | nice -10 cdrecord speed=1 dev=1,1,0 \
> driveropts=burnfree -dao -v tsize="$TSIZE"s -

OK, I was able to figure out how to record the DVD. I used

growiosfs -dvd-video -Z /dev/dvd $2

And I got a DVD thta plays the video perfectly. But has no audio, at
least when played back by myth's "Play DVD" fucntion. I figured if
it didn't work there, there really was no sense in trying it in
my DVD player, right?

What am I doing wrong here?

Forgive my stupiity, this is my first exposure to DVD's at all.
I'm still figuring out all the basics, like what the different
types of writable DVD's are :-(

Thanks, again.

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin