[mythtv-users] Hardware review before the plunge..

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sat Mar 6 15:53:34 EST 2004

On Mar 6, 2004, at 11:36, Matthew Geller wrote:

> I have read the forums now for a couple weeks and come up with the
> following
> hardware configuration.  Please let me know if you have any concerns.
> I was
> going to run Fedora assuming no huge testing issues.  BTW I do realize
> the
> front-end cpu's are a little over powered but I am considering an hdtv
> option in the future.  Thanks..

Actually, if you're thinking about HDTV, the front-end cpus are
actually a fair amount UNDER-powered. The recommendation for optimal
performance is a 3GHz HT P4. My box intended for HDTV playback (if/when
I get my pcHDTV integrated back into my production systems) is an
Athlon XP 3200.

> Initial test box (hardware split up as shown below into
> backend/frontend
> boxes)
>
> Tyan Tiger-133 Dual P2-400
> 512MB RAM
> Dual Western Digital 120GB ATA133 drives (Board only supports
> UDMA/ATA/66)

Western Digital doesn't make any ATA/133 drives. Only up to ATA/100,
then jump to SATA. ATA/133 is predominantly Maxtor, because they
created (and licensed, I think) the standard. I don't think ATA/66
should be a problem though.

> Hauppauge WinTV PVR-250
> SoundBlaster Live
> Chaintech Geforce4 MX4000

I assume you mean GeForce 4 MX 440. There is no MX4000. I have an
Athlon 800 that plays back full-rez video from a PVR-250, so I *think*
you can probably eke out watchable video...

> Final hardware design assuming testing is ok and WAF is high

Hopefully, cpu power on the text box doesn't sink your ship. ;-)

> Backend
> Tyan Tiger-133 Dual P2-400
> 515MB RAM
> Dual Western Digital 120GB ATA133 drives (Board only supports
> UDMA/ATA/66,
> if this become an issue I will upgrade to a Promise FastTrak TX2000)

Whatever for? Their drivers for Linux suck. Just get a plain ATA/100 or
ATA/133 Promise card and use software RAID if it becomes a problem. You
should have ample bandwidth with dual ATA/66 drives RAID striped
though, I believe (just do NOT put them on the same channel). Could be
an issue if you get a bunch of HDTV streams going, so a plain PCI ATA
card is probably worth it (they run like $25, IIRC).

> 2 x Hauppauge WinTV PVR-250
>
> Frontend (For entertainment room)
> Biostar M7VIF
> Athlon XP 2000+
> 512MB RAM
> Chaintech Geforce4 MX4000
> SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS PCI Card
> Network boot or 20GB drive if I cannot get that working
>
> Frontend (For bedroom)
> Chaintech 7NIF2
> Athlon XP 2000+
> 512MB RAM
> Onboard TV-Out
> On-board Sound Out
> Network boot or 20GB drive if I cannot get that working

Both frontends look fine, aside from being under-powered, if you really
want to do HDTV. If you don't feel like spending the money right now,
go with the cheapest Athlon XP procs you can find, then replace them
later if/when you go HD. The way cpu prices drop, getting dirt-cheap
Athlons now and something like a 3000 or greater at a later date will
probably be the same cost as just getting a 3000 now...

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...
     http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/