[mythtv-users] PVR-350 survey - what works and what doesn't?

Tom Walsh tom at openhardware.net
Wed Mar 3 15:20:02 EST 2004

I am running:

1 - PVR-250MCE Rev 2
1 - PVR-350 (retail)
Tyan S2495 mainboard
Athlon 2800+ XP
1Gig DDR
370Gig logical volume created with the -s 64m option
Mad Dog GeForce4 MX 440 8X AGP
Plextor 708A DVD writer
Radio Shack 8-in-1 IR remote
Mandrake 9.2 distro with myth compiled from source, any libs that
weren't in the Mandrake distro were also done from source (no foreign,
third party, RPMs were used).
note: all the acpi, apci stuff is turned off!

Overall, the system is working fine.  Little anomoies here and there,
but no major stuff such as: recording stops halfway, playback freezes,
etc.  Seems to be a real solid system.  Most problems seem to be
associated with myth code itself rather than hardware.

I am still tweaking, for example, I am not real happy with the video
quality of the Nvidia TVOUT and am thinking of doing some kind of
electronic video switching.  Use the PVR-350 for all the TV stuff and
menus, while using the Nvidia for playing DVDs.

I am well pleased with the resulting Myth box that I have!  :)

Regards,

TomW