[mythtv-users] Your soundcard is not reporting free space correctly.

Ann Patterson annp322 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 2 11:02:03 EST 2004

On Sun, 2004-02-22 at 19:51, Ann Patterson wrote:
> I have had a myth box set up and working nicely for some time, using
> myth 0.14, FC1, and Jarod's instructions. Today, I put a new sound card
> into the box, a M-Audio Revolution 7.1 (ice1724 alsa driver). I have
> alsa installed, and except for mythtv, the new sound card works fine.
> Mythmusic, mplayer, and everything else I've tried is fine. But when I
> try to either watch live tv, or play recordings that I recorded before I
> put the new card in, I get no sound at all, and the following error
> repeatedly from the frontend:
>
> Your soundcard is not reporting free space correctly.
> Falling back to old method...

<snip>

I'll respond to my own post. After doing some debugging, it turns out
that, indeed, my soundcard is *not* reporting free space correctly.
Mplayer and Xine work because both use a different method than myth for
syncing video and sound. The alsa folks are looking at it now. I'll post
again when it's fixed.

The moral of the story is, don't buy the latest and greatest hardware,
no matter how cool, and expect it to be well supported in Linux without
a lot of debugging.

Ann P.