[mythtv-users] Taking the plunge

Kevin Barsby Kevin.Barsby at Sun.COM
Tue Mar 2 06:37:44 EST 2004

Hi,

I've just ordered an Hush PC and a PVR 350, whilst awaiting delivery I
thought I'd try to canvass some opinion on the best way to go about
installing and setting up. This is what I'd settled on so far:

Dist: Gentoo
Using these
(http://www.alterself.com/~epia/wiki/tiki-index.php?page=EpiaHowto)
instructions.

I know you can get Redhat drivers for the MPEG decoder, but I was going
to go with 350 TV out for TV watching and DVD (via Xine or the modified
Mplayer)

Kernel is a big consideration, is anyone running on the 2.6 kernel
series? Are there any benefits either way (native ALSA)?

Infrared, I've brought a UIRT2 module (http://users.skynet.be/sky50985/)
  for which there seems to be LIRC support, the main reason for this is
the Wake-On-LAN IR switch on feature.

Switching between TV-Outs, given MythGame and the visualisation of Mythv
Music doesn't work on the pvr350, how easy would it be to switch between
the MB TV-out and the pvr 350 tv out, think 2 cables and a channel
change on the TV.

Any comments welcome :-)
Cheers
Kev