[mythtv-users] Hardware Question

Bill Chmura Bill at Explosivo.com
Tue Mar 2 02:19:38 EST 2004

On Tuesday 02 March 2004 12:40 am, Len Reed wrote:
> Dex West wrote:
> > So I've read about people purchasing a 250 & 350.  I'm
> > assuming the 250 is used for recording and 350 is used
> > for playback??  That seems like a lot of money to
> > spend if I have to buy both.
>
> No, the 350 seems to be a superset of the 250: it has hardware MPEG2
> decoding as well as encoding.  The 250 has only encoding.
>
> Now, for what I'd like to know in a similar vein.  I currently have a
> mythtv setup with a WINTV board (software encoding) on a single backend
> machine and Nvidia TV-out cards on two different frontend machines.  I'm
> considering buying a PVR250 or 350.
>
> 1. With the 350 and mythtv can I record one program and view another
> simultaneously using just that card?  Surely the answer is yes.

You can record one program and view another program that you already recorded.
You cannot record on program and watch live TV through mythtv.

If you have another tuner card you can do both

> 2. If I have a both the PVR350 and the existing low-end board on my
> network can I watch things on the 350 that I recorded (in RTJPEG or
> whatever) on the other board?  It seems that I can't, and that I'll have
> to use software decoding to an AGP TV-out card.  If so, perhaps the
> cheaper 250 makes more sense?

I could be wrong, but right now the issue is with the IVTV framebuffer in the
driver.   I think once that issue is resolved it will be okay...  But I have
no idea when / if that will be.  You can check the Ivtv stuff for that.

> 3. If I use mythtv's transcoding (say, to remove commercials) on an
> MPEG2 file that was made by a 250 or 350, must the resulting output then
> be non-MPEG2?

As I understand it.  You then lose the hardware decoding.  The suggestions I
have found was to use avidemux2 to do commercial removal.  Started playing
with that tonight, and while it was a snap removing the commericals I am
encountering some strangeness also...

> Thanks,
> Len

- --