[mythtv-users] Best non-Hauppauge TV-out cards?

Darren Richards darren.richards at cox.net
Tue Mar 2 02:20:02 EST 2004

Scott,

The Chaintech GeForce4 MX card just came in the mail today.  I finally got
everything installed and tweaked just right, and I wanted to share my
results.  Let me just sum up by saying that this is freakin' awesome!!  I
have spent the last hour doing everything I could possibly imagine to try
and crash the backend, hang my system, or stop a current recording.  I just
can't do it anymore.  The program guide while watching live TV works like a
champ.  I turned on the video preview option, and I entered and exited the
"watch recordings" menu probably 4 dozen times.  I watched varoious recorded
shows, paused, fast-forwarded, rewinded, etc...  I did this over and over
and over and over again, but never once was I able to stop a current
recording or hang my system.  I'm ecstatic!!  Also, the time it takes to
change channels has gone from 4 seconds to about 1 second. Not bad!

I'm still using the 350 as my capture card.  The on-screen displays actually
look better with the GF4MX tv-out than with the 350.  Live (or recorded) TV
doesn't look quite as sharp, but the difference is only really noticable
when there is a lot of on-screen movement.  I increased the capture bitrate
and that seemed to help.  Other than that, I haven't done any real
tweaking...

As they say, YMMV, but I'd definitely recommend buying another tv-out
graphics card, and hang on to the 350 as your capture device.  As far as the
WAF goes, I think this will be the best investment I've made...

-darren