[mythtv-users] Re: Re:Using RCA DirecTv Remote with hauppague IR receiver (mini-how to)

Gabe gabe at mustbethemoney.com
Mon Mar 1 21:21:25 EST 2004

I am not sure about that actually.  No matter what code you select,
there are only so many buttons that the remote will send IR codes for.
For example, no matter what whether you select DVD, VCR, SAT or what,
the remote will always make the volume control the volume, and this is
independent of what the code for each device (except of course, the TV
code).  You can see this as there is an LED on the remote that lights up
when it sends an IR signal out.  For VCR, it sends NOTHING out for about
half the buttons (maybe less than half).  However, the remote manual
says you can control a second sat receiver if you program it to the AUX
button.  However, I know of no code to program the AUX with that would
be RC-5 compliant (which of course, is needed for the Hauppague).  It is
possible one exists that would match up with an available config file,
and that is what I am asking, if anyone has found that magical
combination.  I spent several hours yesterday finding the combination
VCR code and config file to work well (and it does work well for the
limited functions I described earlier), and also trying to determine
which code to use for AUX.  Unfortunatly, I was not too succesful on the
later.

You might have some better luck in doing one of these:
1. Use VCR code 0081 (at least that's what it is on
the URC-6131, and Radio Shack remotes, it might be
different). You might get more buttons working that
way.
2. Either using VCR code 0081, or your current one
(2062), try locating and then programming in the
extended keycodes to various buttons on the remote
(that don't seem to work right). This usually
involves a variant of keymapping, which I don't know
if the RCA remote supports or not.

Maybe one of these days, I should pick one up and see
if I can do that... The look and feel of those RCA
remotes is better than the URC-6131 (in my opinion,
anyway).

-- Joe