[mythtv-users] Hard drive recommendation

Isaac Richards ijr at po.cwru.edu
Mon Mar 1 18:05:31 EST 2004

On Monday 01 March 2004 04:56 pm, J. Donavan Stanley wrote:
> Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> >Hmmm, I don't think I'm seeing this on my 200GB 7200.7... it's quite a
> >bit quieter than my old 120GB WD Caviar, but I still think I'd notice
> >if it was thrashing like that... I wonder if it's because I have swap
> >enabled on a partition on that drive (and it's also my boot drive)?  So
> >that maybe it's never detected as idle... my HD light is always on
> >(steady), even though I usually can't detect any disk activity when I'm
> >not using it...
>
> Same here.  Though I was also able to do "hdparm -M 128" on it as well.
> Maybe Isaac has a bad drive?

hdparm -M says its working, but doesn't actually do anything to make a
difference.  The acoustic management setting shown from hdparm -I never
changes.  You probably just have a different (older) drive firmware than I
do.

I've pretty much have worked around things, though, so it doesn't really
matter anymore.

Isaac