[mythtv-users] Help! I missed the start of the Oscars

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Mon Mar 1 10:47:40 EST 2004

Hi,

I'm not entirely sure whether this request is kosher, so *please*...
REPLY OFF-LIST!

My second tuner is down at the moment while I resolve some HW issues (I
hope it's RF interference, going to try moving it to a different slot,
away from my wlan card), so since I'm down to 1 tuner, last night I was
letting it record some other things while I watched the Oscars.  Hence
my problem...

A friend of my wife's called with a desperate computer question while we
were watching the red carpet pre-show, and kept me on the phone for
20-30 minutes, causing me to miss Billy Crystal's opening, which for me
is the best part of the whole thing.  When I went back upstairs, my
wife was still laughing saying how funny it was.

So, if anybody out there recorded the Oscars and wouldn't mind
transcoding *just* the first few minutes w/Billy Crystal (320x240
MPEG-4 would be fine if you want to save bandwidth) and putting it up
on the web (or email; it might be small enough), I'd be forever
indebted.

Please don't reply to the list.  I recognize that any legal gray area
would only be made worse by posting offers for content in a public
forum.

I admit I'm kind of interested to see how this plays out... there have
been discussions before regarding the legal ramifications of adding
"sharing" capabilities to Myth, a la P2P... obviously that would open
up a big can of worms.  However, I'd hope there would be some
reasonable middle ground somewhere that would facilitate Myth users
contacting each other... perhaps something like:

- An option to have Myth post the metadata about your currently held
recordings to a central location
- An interface (possibly in Mythweb) to indicate you have an interest in
a recording that someone else holds.  When someone has indicated an
interest in one of your recordings, Myth will display an icon next to
it, or possibly list it in a separate screen.  It's then up to the
holder of the recording to contact the interested party privately and
make any arrangements.

This approach is different from a P2P network in that Myth wouldn't be
facilitating the transfer of content; instead it would only be
facilitating personal contact between 2 parties.

Perhaps it would help the legal issues to filter out certain types of
content.  For instance, don't allow movies to be included, as those can
easily be rented through other channels.  Perhaps TV series (sitcoms &
dramas) should be excluded to avoid incurring the wrath of the
networks, and also they're often repeated.  Where this mechanism would
be most useful, though, would be for unique events like sporting
events, newscasts, award shows, and other "special" programming that is
unlikely to ever be repeated or released on DVD.  I can easily see
networks getting upset over someone advertising that they have an
entire season of 'Friends' available for trade, but I doubt they'd care
if the 6:00 Action News broadcast from Boise, Idaho was listed as being
available.  One of the main reasons the networks get upset is that they
see damage to a potential revenue stream.  When they see someone
sharing an entire season of 'Friends', they envision future 'Friends'
anthology DVD sales taking a hit.  Since there usually is not an
anticipated revenue stream from rebroadcasting or DVD sales of these
special events, I think the networks might not care so much.

Maybe it's an unworkable idea.  Feel free to continue this thread, but
only reply off-list to my Oscar request.

-JAC