[mythtv-users] Hard drive recommendation

D Banerjee davatar at comcast.net
Mon Mar 1 00:48:35 EST 2004

Perhaps not so loudly, but it should be moving the head around, in the
least. My 15k cheetah does it, 10k ibm dgvs does it, and my old 7200 rpm
Micropolis did it, pretty much the same as normal seeking but for a minute
at a time. Although not constantly when idle. Mind you they are all
hot-running scsi drives.

You might want to try smartctl too, it _can_ control off-line smart testing,
which may eliminate some of your noise (as per your link it seems to be one
thing it is doing). I can certainly turn on offline scanning on my drives,
hopefully you can turn it off.

Try --offlineauto=off